MidMo Pride events are made possible by people like you, the volunteers who care about the LGBTQ community. We work to ensure all experiences with MidMo Pride are positive.
MidMo Pride is committed to recruiting dedicated, reliable volunteers to assist in the production and execution of MidMo annual PrideFest. Though volunteers need not identify as LGBTQ, it is imperative that all volunteers be LGBT-affirming and support the ongoing struggle for full equality. Through training and support, MidMo Pride aims to empower volunteers and encourage their ongoing participation in the organization’s annual planning.
10 Reasons to Volunteer
There are lots of reasons to volunteer for the MidMo PrideFest. Here are the best ones we can think of:
- You’ll work with great people.
The people who volunteer to make the MidMo PrideFest a success are dedicated and motivated. They are eager to make a positive difference in our community. You’ll build camaraderie and learn teamwork.
- It brings people together.
Volunteering unites people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. By making connections, we strengthen our community.
- It helps the LGBT community.
While marriage equality is now the law of the land, many in our community still face discrimination — even to the point of being told which bathroom they can or cannot use! Our family-friendly, inclusive MidMo PrideFest shows the whole community that we are all one family.
- It helps your career.
Volunteer experience is a good thing to put on your resume or college application. It shows employers you are serious about getting involved and improving skills.
- It’s good for you.
Volunteering builds confidence and self-esteem. Focusing on something other than yourself reduces personal stress and makes you healthier because, experts say, joy and optimism boost the immune system.
- Your ideas matter.
We love new ideas and will work to incorporate your ideas that are possible.
- You get to share your skills.
Are you: a Graphic Artist? Carpenter? Writer? Singer? Accountant? Whatever your skill, chances are we can put it to good use, and you will get a chance to show it off.
- Try something new — and have fun!
We have a lot of fun at Pride Fest. You’ll meet new people and maybe even make new friends. It gets you out of the house and you’ll become part of something big and important for our community.
- You get a free T-shirt.
Everyone who signs up to volunteer will get a free MidMo PrideFest T-shirt, as well as other incentives.
- It’s YOUR festival!
We can’t do it without the help of people who give their time and talent to make the MidMo PrideFest a success. We are striving to hold a festival that stands out as an inclusive event where all are welcome — gay, straight, bi, trans, lesbian, questioning, allies, rich, poor, young, old …
What to Expect from Us
You have the right to:
- A safe work space, free from discrimination, disrespect, and discouragement.
- Be treated as a co-worker and not as free help.
- A suitable work assignment with consideration for personal preference, temperament, education, and experience.
- Learn as much about the organization as possible, including its people and its programs.
- Thoughtfully planned and effectively presented training.
- Sound guidance and direction from a well-informed member of our team.
- Be heard and share your opinions openly.
- Recognition for the hard work you’ve done, the time you’ve put in, and the help you’ve freely given.
What We Expect from You
- Be Sure. Make certain you truly want to dedicate your time and effort.
- Be Thoughtful. Think about the services you offer and the value they are going to add.
- Be Aware. Learn as much as you can about the organization’s goals and programs.
- Be Loyal. Offer suggestions, don’t bad mouth the organization, its staff or its volunteers.
- Speak Up. Ask questions. It’s important to clarify things you don’t understand.
- Be Dependable. Follow through on your commitments. Don’t make promises you can’t keep.
- Be a Team Player. We all have a role to play and important skills to contribute. We must work together to be successful.
Volunteers are generally scheduled for 3, 6 or 8-hour shifts, it’s your choice. We have a great appreciation for our volunteers, so we want to make sure that there are plenty of perks including a free t-shirt, a free meal and non-alcoholic drinks. We also have a volunteer appreciation party after the event.